I want this blog to be about having a conversation that leads to a greater understanding of the topics and the individuals involved. But I’ve seen how easily a civil conversation can become a shouting match that discourages others from entering into the discussion. So here are a few simple ground rules. By posting on my blog, you agree to the following:
- You may comment without registering. You can log-in via Disqus, Twitter, Facebook—or not at all. It’s up to you.
- You may post anonymously. I don’t suggest this, but you may do so if you wish. I may change this rule if it is abused.
- You may post follow-up questions. If you have a question, chances are you aren’t the only one. Others are likely wondering the same thing. So, I would rather receive your comments on my blog than via email. It is also a better use of my time to address everyone at once rather than answer several similar emails.
- You may disagree with me. I welcome debate; civil debate. However, I ask that if you disagree with me—or anyone else, for that matter—do so in a way that is respectful. I think there is way too much shouting in the public square and it won’t be tolerated here.
- I reserve the right to delete your comments. This is my blog. I don’t have an obligation to publish your comments. The First Amendment gives you the right to express your opinions on your blog, but not on mine.
- Specifically, I will delete your comments if you post something that is, in my sole opinion, (a) snarky; (b) off-topic; (c) libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violates or encourages others to violate my sense of decorum and civility or any law, including intellectual property laws; or (d) “spam,” i.e., an attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services. You may, however, post a link to your site or your most recent blog post.
- You retain ownership of your comments. I do not own them and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. By commenting on my site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve me from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
- You grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free. You grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, a video, or presentation.
In short, my goal is to host interesting conversations with considerate, honest, and courteous people. I believe this simple comments policy will facilitate this.